Meet author and visionary thinker Matthew Stein
February 19, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Matthew Stein is an environmentalist, bestselling author, MIT trained engineer, and green builder. As an inspiring speaker and visionary thinker, he is dedicated to helping people wake up and unite to shift our collective course from collapse to global renaissance.
On the practical side of things, as an expert at self-reliance, emergency prep, and survival, his writings and work help people prepare to weather the storms we are facing due to continuing climate change and ecological decline, coupled with a fossil fuel based economy that has recently passed the peak in world oil production and is struggling to cope with impending near-term shortfalls.
Matthew Stein is the author of a delightful new children’s story, “Geronimo the Frog” (Create Space December 2013) and also the author of two bestselling books, “When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance, Sustainability and Surviving the Long Emergency” (Chelsea Green 2008), and “When Disaster Strikes: A Comprehensive Guide to Emergency Planning and Crisis Survival” (Chelsea Green 2011). Stein is a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where he majored in mechanical engineering.
Stein will visit the Bookshelf in Truckee on Saturday, March 1, 3-5 p.m. “Story Time,” 3-3:30 p.m. will find him reading “Geronimo the Frog,” followed by a book signing. The event will continue at 4 p.m. with a more serious talk about “When Technology Fails: What you need to know, do and have on hand to keep your family safe in uncertain times.”
As the owner of Stein Design & Construction, he has built hurricane resistant, energy efficient and environmentally friendly homes. The mechanical engineering side of his firm specializes in product design and development. Among other things, Mat has designed consumer water filtration devices, solar PV roofing panels, medical bacterial filters, emergency chemical drench systems, computer disk drives, and portable fiberglass buildings.
In recognition of his expertise, Stein has appeared on more than 100 radio and television programs and is a repeat guest on dozens of shows, including Fox News, MSNBC, Gary Null, Coast-to-Coast AM, and the Thom Hartmann Show.
He has also written a number of articles on the subject of sustainable living and is a guest columnist for the Huffington Post.
Stein has been an active outdoorsman since he was a small child, an extreme skier and climber (more than 100 Yosemite Valley ascents including several El Capitan and Half Dome big walls), and volunteers as a guide and cross country ski instructor for the blind with the Sierra Regional Ski for Light program. He and his wife Josie live in the Sierra Nevada near Lake Tahoe.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space