No one hurt in fire at newly opened Truckee lobster shack
August 7, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — One of the community's newest and most popular eateries sustained heavy damage from an overnight fire, officials said.
The Truckee Fire Protection District and police department responded to the fire at Morgan's Lobster Shack & Fish Market at 10089 West River St. shortly before 1 a.m. Friday.
"The interior was engulfed in flames and was heavily damaged," officials said in statement. "The fire does not appear to be suspicious at this time."
The fire started in the restaurant's kitchen, Truckee Fire spokesman Paul Spencer said Friday. No one was hurt in the blaze.
Traffic on West River was not impacted, according to Truckee Police.
Officials with Calfire, Squaw Valley Fire Department, Northstar Fire Department and the North Tahoe Fire Protection District helped extinguish the blaze "very quickly," Spencer said.
The restaurant and market owned by Heather and Shawn Whitney offered lobster, scallops, halibut, swordfish, salmon and shrimp, among other East Coast-inspired seafood options. It opened about a month ago and has received many positive reviews from the Truckee community.
At about 10 a.m. Friday, Shawn Whitney was at the scene on West River Street.
"This is not going to deter us," he said. "We're going to reopen in a month, hopefully. We're coming back … (it's) a little bump in the road."
The building sustained interior damage and smoke damage, but no structural damage, he said.
A fundraising website has been established to assist with the restaurant's recovery. It can be accessed here.
"Please help small business owners Heather and Shawn Whitney reopen their lobster shack that they just opened in May 2013 and recently had a fire which has caused them to temporarily close," according to a post on the site. "Their restaurant is a great addition to the town of Truckee and we need to help them get through this bump in the road."
— Sierra Sun reporter Margaret Moran contributed to this report.