Peak Innovation conference to address economic, environmental change
August 5, 2014
Sierra Business Council's 20th Anniversary Conference "Peak Innovation – The Next 20 Years" is designed to offer inspiration, concrete action steps and unparalleled networking and learning opportunities Oct. 8-10 at Granlibakken Conference Center & Lodge in Tahoe City.
The early bird rate of $499, a $100 discount, is available through Aug. 15.
"Peak Innovation brings together people who are implementing cutting-edge solutions to difficult social and environmental issues," said Steve Frisch, president of Sierra Business Council. "This conference offers all who care about creating sustainable communities, an opportunity to gain skills, have conversations and take steps toward making the Sierra an even better place to live and work."
The conference officially opens on Oct. 8 featuring a Washoe blessing, fall harvest dinner featuring farm fresh produce, interview with writer Terry Tempest Williams and mini Wild & Scenic Film Festival. Optional pre-conference offerings include a free Granlibakken Energy Efficiency Retrofit Tour, free guided hike, launch of Sierra Nevada Climate Adaptation and Mitigation Partnership and hands-on workshops for a small fee.
Throughout the three-day conference, participants will discuss relevant ways rural regions can cultivate innovation and sustainability, with in-depth discussions about how to increase investment in the Sierra. Sierra Business Council will also present NY Times best-selling author Van Jones who wrote "The Green Collar Economy" and "Rebuild the Dream." The list of his awards and honors is vast: Rolling Stone's "12 Leaders Who Get Things Done," TIME's "100 Most Influential People in the World," Fast Company's "12 Most Creative Minds on Earth" and Essence Magazine's "25 Most Inspiring African Americans."
Early bird registration includes all meals, networking opportunities, panels, film festival, optional morning and Friday afternoon activities for $499 (a $100 discount). Visit SierraBusiness.org or call 530-582-4800 to register.
The Sierra Business Council is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to building a better Sierra through on-the-ground projects that promote, develop and amplify the area's social, natural and economic capital.
Granlibakken Conference Center & Lodge is located at 725 Granlibakken Road in Tahoe City.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee Chief’s Corner: Follow these tips to know if the ice is safe
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Tahoe agencies meet with Sen. Dean Heller to advocate for VAWA
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week