Police: Truckee man, 23, caused fatal motorcycle accident
September 30, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A 23-year-old local man faces charges of vehicular manslaughter and child endangerment after he allegedly caused a fatal motorcycle accident Monday afternoon in Folsom, Calif.
Kaman Tate Hobbs, 23, of Truckee, was driving a green Volkswagen sedan at about 2 p.m. westbound on Greenback Lane near Negro Bar State Park when he turned into the path of an eastbound motorcycle ridden by 41-year-old Shane Curtis Clark, according to the Folsom Police Department.
Clark was unable to avoid a collision. He was thrown from the motorcycle and was struck by a white van traveling eastbound on Greenback Lane.
When police arrived, they found four off-duty California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officers administering aid to Clark. Despite their efforts and those of first responders, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Hobbs was operating the Volkswagen while holding a suspended California driver's license, police said. Further, Hobbs' young son was in the vehicle and not properly restrained.
Hobbs was arrested and booked into Sacramento County Sheriff's Office jail on charges of vehicular manslaughter, child endangerment, driving with a suspended license and probation violation.
There is no indication of wrongdoing on the part of the driver of the van, police said.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues