Rahlves, Mancuso Olympic memorabilia on display
May 22, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — The Museum of Sierra Ski History and 1960 Winter Olympics recently received donations of Olympic memorabilia from world famous local athletes Daron Rahlves and Julia Mancuso.
The newly acquired items are now on display daily at the museum in the Boatworks Mall in Tahoe City.
Daron Rahlves donated his wind shell, racing helmet, goggles and participation medal from the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and his travel bag from the 2006 Olympics in Torino. Rahlves is the most decorated Downhill and Super G skier in American history and twice won the most prestigious ski race in the world, the legendary Hahnenkamm Downhill.
The always generous Olympic Valley native Julia Mancuso donated her racing suit from the recent Olympic Winter Games in Sochi. The suit is the same she wore in the Downhill and Super G events to clinch a bronze medal finish in the four-event Combined. Mancuso is one of the most decorated female skiers in American history. She has four Olympic medals including a gold earned in 2006 at Torino.
The Museum of Sierra Ski History and 1960 Winter Olympics features exhibits of artifacts and memorabilia from the beginning of skiing in the Sierra Nevada in the mid-19th century to the modern Olympic Winter Games.
The museum displays the longboard collection of Craig Beck, the remarkable Olympic photo collection of Bill Briner and the extensive Batiste Family collection of memorabilia from the 1960 Winter Olympics.
The Museum is a public service project founded by David C. Antonucci and Stan and Maryann Batiste, open daily from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at the Boatworks Mall, 760 North Lake Blvd., second floor, Tahoe City. Admission is free.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)