Rebirth of the Cool | Truckee High School students jammin’ jazz for band funds
January 9, 2014
What: Moody’s Bistro and Lounge music
Who: Dustbowl Revival, Jan. 10, 8:30 p.m., Robert Home Trio, Jan. 11, 8:30 p.m.
Where: 10007 Bridge St., Truckee
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Thirty Truckee kids stayed up way past bedtime one night in December.
And for good reason. Members and alumni of the Truckee High School Bands and campers from Moody’s Jazz Camp, a week-long, tuition-free Truckee summer camp, entertained a packed house at Moody’s Bistro in downtown Truckee as part of the fundraiser for the two music programs.
Under the signature red lights of Moody’s lounge, kids ages 10 to 18 channeled musical powerhouses like Mozart, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Hoagy Carmichael, Imagine Dragons, and even the rapper, Macklemore. They played brass, keys, guitar, and drums in their efforts to show that music matters in their lives — and in the lives of future generations of mountain kids.
At one point in the evening, Lily Bradley, the 11-year-old MC, introduced JJ Morgan, owner of Moody’s Bistro, who explained the name for the fundraiser, “Rebirth of the Cool.”
Morgan told the enthusiastic crowd the name came from Miles Davis’ album, but in this context refers to bringing back the pride that should come along with being a musician. He said although Truckee is athletic-minded, there is an amazing pocket of musicians the community needs to nourish.
“Our goal as a community should be to be the place about which people ask, ‘How do so many great musicians come from that small mountain town?’” said Morgan.
All proceeds from the evening and the auction benefited local youth music programs.
Truckee High School has three music programs that are supported by donations, grants and Measure A funds. Learn more at http://thsbands.com.
Jazz Camp at Moody’s is a free youth music camp at Moody’s taught by professional jazz musicians from around the United States.
Visit their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/MoodysJazzCamp.
To make a tax-deductible donation or to learn more about these programs email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports