San Fran collective to bring funky beats to North Tahoe
March 20, 2013
If you go
When: 10 p.m. Saturday, March 23
Where: Crystal Bay Club Crown Room
After-party: B. Bravo & Philharmonic, in the Red Room
CRYSTAL BAY, Nev. — Afrolicious is San Francisco-based collective who perform live with a ten-piece band and also as a DJ duo with live percussionists and MCs.
According to the band’s Facebook page, the band has established itself as both one of the most legendary weekly parties in San Francisco, and of the top live/electronic bands on the scene. The band started as a weekly dance party featuring DJs and brothers Pleasuremaker and Señor Oz — alongside percussionists, MCs and horn players.
According to its biography, the group over the years has evolved as founding DJ/Producer Pleasuremaker (Joe McGuire) and brother Señor Oz (Oz McGuire) hooked up with some of the most exciting personalities in the Bay Area music scene and started writing original music under the Afrolicious name.
Around 2010, the live Pleasuremaker band started including some of this new material and added more of the percussionists and vocalists from the weekly party to form what is now the Afrolicious band, according to the biography.
Between their weekly party and sound system shows that involve the brothers DJing alongside live percussion, they also have a 8-12 piece live band that emphasizes the organic elements, instrumentation and energy of a live ensemble combined with club heavy beats and textures the weekly party has come to be known for.
Afrolicious has performed at such legendary venues as Red Rocks, Sierra Nevada World Music Festival, Electric Forest Festival, SnowGlobe, Burningman, Sea of Dreams, The Independent, Great American Music Hall, Elbo Room in San Francisco, Cielo, Nublu, Bembe, Zanzibar and Silent Frisco.
Learn more about the band at http://www.afrolicious.org.
Trending In: Local
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens