Sierra Expeditionary Learning School charter renewed
March 24, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Sierra Expeditionary Learning School (SELS) is proud to announce their charter has been renewed by TTUSD for five more years and has exceeded many of its original goals.
"We want to thank the TTUSD board of directors for their support the district has given us over the last four years and we look forward to continuing to improve our overall program," said David Manahan, SELS director.
SELS opened in August 2010 with 64 students in grades kindergarten through fifth.
In the following years, the school expanded to grades kindergarten through eighth and 210 students.
SELS offers the Truckee-North Tahoe community a school option specializing in Expeditionary Learning. This nationally recognized model of education focuses on integrated curriculum, community based learning, engaging teaching practices, and the use of experts and fieldwork to enhance the learning process.
SELS has also developed a strong character education program and works extensively to develop high academic achievers, well-grounded individuals, and involved community members. The curriculum is developed using Common Core and California State Standards to help develop 21st Century learners and citizens.
As a community based school, SELS strives to be a valuable member of TTUSD's overall educational plan. In nearly all ways, except curriculum, SELS works to mimic TTUSD schools: using virtually the same calendar; directly contracting busing, food services, special education services, facilities, and multiple other services.
In their first years of operation, SELS has succeeded in meeting most of their original goals and have maintained a demographic diversity on par with other District schools.
SELS has developed a successful academic program with API scores of 900-plus and scored in the top 5 Expeditionary Learning schools in the country (based on the organization's evaluation metric).
SELS is currently conducting family information nights for 2014/2015 enrollment and holding a lottery a April 10.
For more information on SELS visit http://www.TruckeeCharterSchool.org.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues