Simone Appetit: Grilling season – it ain’t over ‘til it’s over
August 20, 2014
You know what? I am tired of sharing my recipes, which I have been painstakingly plagiarizing (just kidding!) for years, without a single one coming my way.
But guess what? Kitty Kruck finally came through and, this time, she didn’t even omit a single ingredient. Plus, if you ask me, her timing is perfect because despite the recent drop in temperature — it is still barbecue season.
That’s right men (and women who really do all the work), your “Kiss the Cook” stained aprons are still good to go until Labor Day. Or until the fat lady sings — and I have a bad voice — so do not be waiting for that to happen.
Grilled Chicken Kabobs, or “Yakitori”
1/2 cup sake
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbls. sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 2-inch piece of ginger, grated
1 pound skinless, boneless, chicken meat cubed
six metal skewers
In a medium dish, mix together the sake, soy sauce, sugar, garlic and ginger. Add chicken, and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
Preheat your oven’s broiler. Grease six metal skewers, and thread alternately with 3 pieces of chicken and 2 pieces of leek. Place on a baking sheet or broiling pan, and brush with the marinade.
Broil for about 5 minutes, baste again, then broil for another 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Discard remaining marinade.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen “must-haves” and food news at email@example.com.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports