Small plane crashes Thursday near Truckee airport
May 23, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Crews were in the process of rescuing the lone occupant of a small plane that went down Thursday afternoon near Truckee Tahoe Airport, according to the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office.
At about 3 p.m., NCSO received a report that a single-engine aircraft crashed 7 miles east of the airport, near the California/Nevada border, said Undersheriff Joseph Salivar. The report came from the plane’s occupant, using a cellphone. His injuries were unknown.
Helicopter rescue crews from Calfire and the California Highway Patrol assisted in airlifting the victim from the crash site.
The cause of the crash is unknown. It was unclear as of late Thursday if the plane was flying to or from the Truckee airport.
The investigation has been turned over to the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes