Small plane crashes Thursday near Truckee airport
Ryan Summerlin May 23, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Crews were in the process of rescuing the lone occupant of a small plane that went down Thursday afternoon near Truckee Tahoe Airport, according to the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office.
At about 3 p.m., NCSO received a report that a single-engine aircraft crashed 7 miles east of the airport, near the California/Nevada border, said Undersheriff Joseph Salivar. The report came from the plane’s occupant, using a cellphone. His injuries were unknown.
Helicopter rescue crews from Calfire and the California Highway Patrol assisted in airlifting the victim from the crash site.
The cause of the crash is unknown. It was unclear as of late Thursday if the plane was flying to or from the Truckee airport.
The investigation has been turned over to the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- PHOTOS: Lake Tahoe fire crews douse small Spooner Lake blaze
- Tahoe Chief’s Corner: Carbon monoxide safety key as fall approaches
- Election 2016: Truckee hospital board candidates discuss high costs
- Incline Village sheriff’s picnic sees good turnout in great weather
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Opinion: Kudos to Placer supes for positive Martis Valley West vote
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000
- Truckee, a sanctuary for runners, to host first-ever marathon this weekend
- Reno group wants to crowdsource funds to buy Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe