Summer bus service between Reno, Tahoe planned
March 23, 2014
RENO, Nev. — The Regional Transportation Commission will launch weekend bus service between Reno and Lake Tahoe's Sand Harbor State Park this summer.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports the bus service will start May 23 and last through Labor Day.
One-way fares will be $5 for adults and $2.50 for youths, seniors and the disabled.
A bus will depart Reno's Meadowood Mall at 8 a.m., stop at the Summit Mall in south Reno and arrive at Sand Harbor at 9:30 a.m. Service will continue with a bus every three hours until the last departure from Sand Harbor at 6:30 p.m.
The three-year demonstration project will cost $55,000 per summer, with 95 percent covered by federal funds.
Members of the public requested the service, with supporters including youths who have never been to Lake Tahoe and seniors who haven't been there for years.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Truckee Chief’s Corner: Follow these tips to know if the ice is safe
- Still no cause of Homewood ski resort, Tahoe City Henrikson fires
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Some on West Shore may be without power into Saturday; others still out, too
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week