Sunshine Letter | Tahoe Truckee Community Chorus concert uplifting
May 8, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Thank you, Tahoe Truckee Community Chorus, for a most marvelous and uplifting concert, that I was privileged to attend at Squaw Creek Hotel this past Sunday afternoon. Broadway to Beethoven, what a stretch with a comic piece by Barat in between. "Another Op'ning, Another Show" was a perfect lead-in, sung so joyously by the chorus.
But the "piece de resistance" was Beethoven's 9th Symphony's Choral Finale. Remember that Beethoven was already quite deaf when he composed this symphony. Kudos to the Diablo Valley College Philharmonic Orchestra and it's conductor Dr. Owen Lee. Those young people played a very adult, sophisticated piece perfectly, with gusto. The chorus sang "The Ode to Joy – Freude Schöner Götterfunken" in German, the composer's language, and it was perfect.
Helga Pannke-Sable, Tahoe Vista
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Reno man killed in head-on crash northeast of Truckee on Interstate 80
- Truckee couple to host fundraiser on Oct. 17 for Northern California fire victims
- Arapahoe Basin once again country’s first ski area to open, marking start of 2017-2018 season
- Public input sought on draft Truckee River Recreational Access Plan
- Table Fire at 420 acres in Eldorado National Forest