Sunshine Letter | Tahoe Truckee Community Chorus concert uplifting
May 8, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Thank you, Tahoe Truckee Community Chorus, for a most marvelous and uplifting concert, that I was privileged to attend at Squaw Creek Hotel this past Sunday afternoon. Broadway to Beethoven, what a stretch with a comic piece by Barat in between. “Another Op’ning, Another Show” was a perfect lead-in, sung so joyously by the chorus.
But the “piece de resistance” was Beethoven’s 9th Symphony’s Choral Finale. Remember that Beethoven was already quite deaf when he composed this symphony. Kudos to the Diablo Valley College Philharmonic Orchestra and it’s conductor Dr. Owen Lee. Those young people played a very adult, sophisticated piece perfectly, with gusto. The chorus sang “The Ode to Joy – Freude Schöner Götterfunken” in German, the composer’s language, and it was perfect.
Helga Pannke-Sable, Tahoe Vista
Trending In: Local
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Opinion: Keeping Squaw ‘true’ may doom Squaw to failure
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump