Sunshine Letter | Tahoe Truckee Community Chorus concert uplifting
Ryan Summerlin May 8, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Thank you, Tahoe Truckee Community Chorus, for a most marvelous and uplifting concert, that I was privileged to attend at Squaw Creek Hotel this past Sunday afternoon. Broadway to Beethoven, what a stretch with a comic piece by Barat in between. “Another Op’ning, Another Show” was a perfect lead-in, sung so joyously by the chorus.
But the “piece de resistance” was Beethoven’s 9th Symphony’s Choral Finale. Remember that Beethoven was already quite deaf when he composed this symphony. Kudos to the Diablo Valley College Philharmonic Orchestra and it’s conductor Dr. Owen Lee. Those young people played a very adult, sophisticated piece perfectly, with gusto. The chorus sang “The Ode to Joy – Freude Schöner Götterfunken” in German, the composer’s language, and it was perfect.
Helga Pannke-Sable, Tahoe Vista
Trending In: Local
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- 3 adults rescued from Lake Tahoe after boat takes on water
- PHOTOS: Lake Tahoe fire crews douse small Spooner Lake blaze
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- LIVE COVERAGE: Truckee football takes on Elko in undefeated showdown
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000