Tahoe district installs four electric-car charging stations
Ryan Summerlin May 12, 2014
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — The Incline Village General Improvement District has become the latest agency to provide electric car-charging stations for residents and visitors.
District officials installed four 70-amp, 240-volt ports this spring at Diamond Peak Ski Resort and the Championship Golf Course, according to a news release.
The district paid $20,000 to purchase and install the stations built by the Eaton Corporation; they cost $40,000 total, but half was paid for by a grant from NV Energy.
The units are networked via ChargePoint and require a ChargePoint membership to use. The stations are free use to the public for five years, according to IVGID.
“We are leading the way in sustainability and following suit with other environmentally conscientious resorts around the country,” Diamond Peak General Manager Brad Wilson said in a statement.
IVGID’s long-term objective of using ChargePoint is to show environmental responsibility by encouraging electric vehicle use, according to the news release.
ChargePoint touts itself as having the largest and most open electric-vehicle charging network in the world, with more than 16,500 places to charge, 2,320 customers and a 70 percent-plus share of all networked public charging stations.
According to the company, every 10 seconds, a driver connects to a ChargePoint station, and by plugging in and charging over 4 million times, drivers have saved over 3.8 million gallons of gasoline and avoided 28 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions.
IVGID is now the second Tahoe-area government agency to install charging stations; the Tahoe City Public Utility District’s two ports at 221 Fairway Drive are also free to use.
Last September, Squaw Valley installed four of them, becoming the first ski resort in California to do so. Other regional businesses who have ports include the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe in Incline; Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee; and Harveys Lake Tahoe in Stateline.
Learn more about ChargePoint at chargepoint.com at the Eaton Corporation at eaton.com. Learn more about IVGID at ivgid.org.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- 3 adults rescued from Lake Tahoe after boat takes on water
- Incline Village sheriff’s picnic sees good turnout in great weather
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000