Tahoe fire board sets guidelines to replace chairman
August 26, 2013
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — The Incline Village fire board will vote to appoint its newest director next month.
Directors set guidelines at Wednesday’s board meeting to replace outgoing board chairman Don Epstein with one of seven candidates — Robert Edwards, Susan Herron, Steve King, Chris May, Jeff Warner, Tom Whalen and Jeff S. Zakem.
An eighth candidate, Tom Kenna, recently withdrew his name from consideration, said North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District board secretary Vicki Baumann.
Edwards, Warner and Herron were present at Wednesday’s meeting.
According to the process, the seven candidates will be asked to fill out a series of board-approved questions over the next couple weeks.
Directors will receive answers a week prior to the Wednesday, Sept. 18, board meeting, when directors may ask follow-up questions of the candidates. From there, the board will vote on a replacement.
Once that person is named, he or she will be sworn in by the Washoe County clerk, with a goal of being able to serve as soon as the board’s Oct. 16 meeting.
Whoever is appointed would be up for reelection next fall, considering Epstein’s seat expires at the end of 2014.
Epstein — who currently serves as board chair — announced his resignation earlier this summer, effective Oct. 1. He and his wife, Bea, are moving to Florida to live in a warmer winter climate.
Of those who applied, May and King ran for the three open NLTFPD seats in the 2012 election, losing to incumbents Dale Smith and Wayne Fischer, and to Paul Zahler, who formerly served as a fire board director. King also ran unsuccessfully for a fire board seat in the 2010 election.
Herron currently is employed with the Incline Village General Improvement District as administrative assistant to the general manager and clerk to the board of trustees.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway