Tahoe Mountain Resorts Foundation awards scholarships to graduating seniors
Ryan Summerlin July 12, 2014
The Tahoe Mountain Resorts Foundation awarded $43,500 in scholarships to nine deserving seniors at local high school ceremonies.
Truckee High School senior Lorenzo Vigano, who plans to attend MIT in Boston, was awarded TMR Foundation’s top scholarship of $30,000. Stevynn Laine, also from Truckee High School, received a $10,000 scholarship and will attend Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash.
In addition, $500 scholarships were awarded to the following Truckee High and North Tahoe High seniors: Zoe Anderson, who plans to attend Cal Poly; Jack Blackmon, who will attend New York University; Rebecca Berelson will attend UC Berkeley; Leslie Gonzalez, who is headed to UC Monterey Bay; Taysa Mohler, who will attend Barr University in New York; Katherine Bloomfield who is headed to Tulane University in New Orleans, La.; and Mayra Placencia who will be attending University of Nevada, Reno.
“We had a large pool of applicants this year and all were outstanding,” said Terri Stone, TMRF scholarship program director. “It’s exciting and rewarding to see our local schools produce truly excellent students who have been accepted into some of our country’s finest schools.”
Tahoe Mountain Resorts Foundation is committed to supporting the scholastic efforts of graduating seniors from the Truckee-Tahoe region. The TMR Foundation scholarship committee reviews all applicants in-depth and selects finalists for interviews. The scholarship criterion includes: financial need, academic performance, extra-curricular activities and an essay provided by the student. The TMR Foundation is supported by East West Partners’ Communities located in the Truckee-Tahoe area. Visit TMRFoundation.com for more information on its charitable giving programs.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- PHOTOS: Lake Tahoe fire crews douse small Spooner Lake blaze
- Incline Village sheriff’s picnic sees good turnout in great weather
- 3 adults rescued from Lake Tahoe after boat takes on water
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000
- Truckee, a sanctuary for runners, to host first-ever marathon this weekend
- North Tahoe PUD to work exclusively with Bay Area developer