Tahoe Mountain Resorts Foundation awards scholarships to graduating seniors
July 12, 2014
The Tahoe Mountain Resorts Foundation awarded $43,500 in scholarships to nine deserving seniors at local high school ceremonies.
Truckee High School senior Lorenzo Vigano, who plans to attend MIT in Boston, was awarded TMR Foundation's top scholarship of $30,000. Stevynn Laine, also from Truckee High School, received a $10,000 scholarship and will attend Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash.
In addition, $500 scholarships were awarded to the following Truckee High and North Tahoe High seniors: Zoe Anderson, who plans to attend Cal Poly; Jack Blackmon, who will attend New York University; Rebecca Berelson will attend UC Berkeley; Leslie Gonzalez, who is headed to UC Monterey Bay; Taysa Mohler, who will attend Barr University in New York; Katherine Bloomfield who is headed to Tulane University in New Orleans, La.; and Mayra Placencia who will be attending University of Nevada, Reno.
"We had a large pool of applicants this year and all were outstanding," said Terri Stone, TMRF scholarship program director. "It's exciting and rewarding to see our local schools produce truly excellent students who have been accepted into some of our country's finest schools."
Tahoe Mountain Resorts Foundation is committed to supporting the scholastic efforts of graduating seniors from the Truckee-Tahoe region. The TMR Foundation scholarship committee reviews all applicants in-depth and selects finalists for interviews. The scholarship criterion includes: financial need, academic performance, extra-curricular activities and an essay provided by the student. The TMR Foundation is supported by East West Partners' Communities located in the Truckee-Tahoe area. Visit TMRFoundation.com for more information on its charitable giving programs.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues