Tahoe Truckee middle school girls awarded scholarships for Tech Trek
June 17, 2014
Alder Creek Middle School students Cassandra Almond and Emily Smoot have been awarded scholarships to attend the American Association of University Women’s (AAUW) Science and Math Camp — Tech Trek — being held at University of California, Davis in July.
Also recognized were girls who completed the rigorous applicant, essay and interview process: Jacqueline Campos, Nayeli Cota, Natalie Dalbol, Nhi Dang and Miranda Parkhurst.
Alder Creek Middle School science and math teachers Becky Schnaffnit, Sue Monk and Christine Smith support the program by nominating girls who are interested in and excited about science and math. The camp’s goal is to instill inspiration, confidence and excitement for science and math for girls entering the eighth grade.
Featuring hands-on activities at the university’s campus, the girls receive in-depth study in the fields of science, math, engineering and technology (STEM).
AAUW, founded as a nationwide organization, funds women’s legal issues, education and matters impacting women. It currently has 14,000 members, 6,000 associates and 150 branches. Completely locally funded, Tech Trek invites individuals and businesses to contribute to this important program.
Checks payable to: AAUW Special Projects Fund (note in memo line: Tech Trek Truckee Donner Branch); mail to P.O. Box 1326, Truckee, CA 96160.
For more information about AAUW visit http://northtahoe-ca.aauw.net.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space