Tahoe Truckee Unified School District offering free Kindergarten Camp
April 29, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — K Camp is a new, free summer school program established by Tahoe Truckee Unified School District to help young scholars with school readiness. This summer, any student entering in kindergarten or transitional kindergarten at any TTUSD elementary school in the fall of 2013 will be able to enroll in K Camp. The K Camp is part of an initiative to get all students reading at grade level by third grade, for which Tahoe Truckee was recognized by the National Civic League as an All-America City 2012.
K Camp will be held July 15-Aug. 9, 8 a.m.-noon, Monday through Friday at Truckee Elementary School and Tahoe Lake Elementary. Bussing will be available (2013-2014 bus pass required), as well as breakfast and lunch for those who have filled out an application for free or reduced lunch. The Tahoe Lake campus will have Two Way Immersion teachers for those enrolled in the Two Way Immersion program at Kings Beach Elementary in the fall.
Each site will also have one class of incoming first-graders and one class of incoming second-graders who need additional literacy support prior to the new school year. At the entrance and exit of K Camp, students will be assessed in order to document growth. This information will travel with them to their new kindergarten teacher. Having these assessments when school starts will allow more teaching and learning to happen at the beginning of the school year because teachers will have current information about the students’ abilities and needs.
Incoming first and second-graders will be invited to camp based on their needs. The intent is to serve the neediest students in the district, focus on literacy skills, so they may be proficient readers by the end of third grade. Students will be celebrated as “camp leaders” during the four weeks, honing their skills as readers (readers are leaders!), and supporting incoming transitional kindergarten and kindergarten emerging readers. There will be a lot of fun in connection to learning and reading; for example, working with the Truckee library and other community connections.
Pre-enrollment for K Camp took place at all elementary schools during Kindergarten Round-Ups. If you haven’t enrolled your incoming kindergartner, or if you have questions or need more information contact K Camp Principal Logan Mallonee, email@example.com or 530-582-2500, ext. 2538.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)