Tahoe Truckee Women’s Fund to host ‘Humble Solutions for a Changing World’ dinner
Ryan Summerlin May 1, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — The Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation Queen of Hearts Women’s Fund is sponsoring its 12th annual dinner event on Thursday, May 8, 5-9 p.m. at The Resort at Squaw Creek.
This event is open to members and non-members.
The “For The Love Of Food” dinner will be a farm-to-table format with all the evening’s food sourced by the Tahoe Food Hub from local farmers. The menu designed and prepared by Chefs Billy McCullough and Jason Friendy, will pair “intelligent food with delicious conversation,’” said Nancy Gisko, the Women’s Fund Leadership Team Chair. “We are so thrilled about an evening focused on food, from growing and sustainability of food at 6,000 feet, to hunger, and to an appreciation of our local bounty. Our guest speaker, Mary Risley, is clearly a person who is an example of how ordinary women can make an extraordinary impact.”
Mary Risley will speak about the evening’s theme, “Humble Solutions for a Changing World.”
As the founder of Food Runners, a San Francisco based grass roots organization that picks up surplus food from businesses and delivers it to agencies feeding the hungry, Risley has inspired many to take action both in and out of the kitchen. She also started the highly regarded Tante Marie’s Cooking School in San Francisco more than 30 years ago, and was honored as the “Cooking Teacher of the Year” by Bon Appetit magazine in 1997. She received the “Humanitarian of the Year” award from the James Beard Foundation in 1998.
Another evening highlight will be a video premiere about growing and accessing fresh food in the North Tahoe Region. This is a collaborative effort between the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation, Moonshine Ink, and SBS Media House.
Major sponsors of the event are MWA, Inc., Kristi Thompson, Carol and Mike Sabarese.
Ticket price for members is $65; non-members $75. Register online at https://2014queensdinner.eventbrite.com or make a check out to TTCF and designate “Women’s Fund Dinner” on the comment line, attention to Kelly Gelbman. Send to Truckee Tahoe Community Foundation located at 11071 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161.
The Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation Women’s Fund is currently valued at more than $1.5 million with a membership of nearly 1,200 members of all ages. Thirty grants to local nonprofit organizations totaling $324,000 has been distributed since 2006.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- PHOTOS: Lake Tahoe fire crews douse small Spooner Lake blaze
- Incline Village sheriff’s picnic sees good turnout in great weather
- Tahoe Chief’s Corner: Carbon monoxide safety key as fall approaches
- Incline High School Homecoming Week: Parade is Friday
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000
- Truckee, a sanctuary for runners, to host first-ever marathon this weekend
- North Tahoe PUD to work exclusively with Bay Area developer