Tahoe’s Spindleshanks relocating to Old Brockway Golf Course
January 13, 2014
TAHOE VISTA, Calif. — American bistro and wine bar Spindleshanks has found a new place to call home.
With the planned demolition of its building at 6873 North Lake Blvd. in Tahoe Vista, the restaurant will relocate to Old Brockway Golf Course in Kings Beach this spring.
“We’re sad, but we’re ready for it,” said Steve Marks, co-owner of Spindleshanks, referring to the move.
The restaurant will continue operating in Tahoe Vista through March before likely resuming business in early April in the space previously occupied by Blue Onion and Mountain Mo’s Bar & Grill, Marks said.
Incline Village residents Bill and Sherry Gillespie dined Sunday night at the restaurant. Bill said he hopes Spindleshanks’ ambience isn’t lost in translation.
“It’s nice, warm and cozy in the winter and open air in the summer, so we hope it’s just as nice where they move,” he said.
Sherry sees Old Brockway’s location at the intersection of highways 28 and 267 as an asset.
“I think it’s a little more convenient there, actually, for them,” she said. “I think the location may be better.”
The Spindleshanks building, which was built in 1927 as the Sandy Beach Resort, will be torn down and replaced by 39 timeshare units.
Originally, the building was going to be kept as part of the project, with a plan to remodel it with a new kitchen in the rear. Yet in August 2013, Marks learned the timeshare project would move forward without the building.
It’s unclear when the building will be torn down or when timeshare unit construction will start. Developer Tim Wilkens, of Lake Tahoe Partners, LLC, has been recovering from an injury the past several weeks, a spokesperson said, and could not be reached for comment.
Over the building’s approximately 87-year existence, it has housed the Tahoe Vista Post Office, Colonel Clair’s Restaurant, Sweetwater, Crawdaddy’s and, lastly, Spindleshanks, which opened in March 2000.
Learn more about the restaurant and its history at spindleshankstahoe.com.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes