Truckee aquatic center plans near commission hearing
October 3, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The Truckee-Donner Recreation & Park District’s aquatic center project is expected to go before the Truckee Planning Commission next month.
Recently, TDRPD General Manager Steve Randall and architect Mark Wilson met with town staff to review plans — which are 80 percent complete — with no “red flags” popping up, Randall said.
“(We’re) trying to be as proactive as possible, so we don’t have to be reactive in the 11th hour,” he explained to the TDRPD board of directors at its Sept. 26 meeting.
If the planning commission approves the project, it’s expected to go to bid in December, with April 15, 2014, being the earliest construction can begin.
Overseeing work — expected to take roughly a year — will be a construction manager, a newly created short-term position within TDRPD. That person is expected to be hired in about a month, Randall said.
He or she will be paid $70,000 a year, with full benefits ranging from health to life insurance. A $20,000 bonus will be awarded at the end of employment to entice him or her to stay until project completion.
Salary for the construction manager — who’s expected to be employed for roughly 12 to 18 months — was previously calculated into the $7.2-million project budget.
When finished, the metal-framed center will feature a 25-yard, 8-lane competition pool; 2,500-square-foot leisure pool, with a 70-foot current channel and 20-yard warm water lap lanes; locker rooms; and a party room, among other amenities.
The center — expected to open by spring or summer 2015 — will be located adjacent to the Truckee Community Recreation Center at 8924 Donner Pass Road.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway