Truckee Bookshelf sees record-breaking sales Saturday
November 26, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The call for the community to support Truckee's Bookshelf was heard loud and clear.
"We had a really fabulous day," said Debbie Lane, owner of the Bookshelf, reflecting on Saturday's community rally. "The store was hopping busy all day."
Lane estimates close to 900 items — mostly books — were sold as part of the rally organized and promoted by Krista Strecker's 10th-grade English class at Truckee High School.
While Lane chose not to release how those sales translated into dollars, she said it was a recording-breaking day for the Bookshelf within the past five years.
Recently, the 21-year-old local business has struggled, with sales down between 25 percent and 30 percent this year prior to the rally. Lane attributed that decline in part to low visibility after the business relocated to the Westgate Shopping Center earlier in 2013.
Strong sales continued this week, with the Bookshelf selling nearly 200 items on Monday, Lane said.
That money will go toward covering bills and other expenses, while funds generated by an online fundraising campaign will go toward the store's future — one that looks "pretty optimistic," she said.
As of Tuesday afternoon, $4,535 has been raised out of a $25,000 goal, according to http://www.igg.me/at/save-our-shelf-truckee.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Angora Fire reinforced importance of fuels reduction in Tahoe Basin
- Lake Tahoe pro skier sells creative, fresh-fruit popsicles (on a bike)
- Truckee Artist Lofts experience setback
- Parasol’s building proposal gets no quick answer in Incline Village
- Nevada County Supervisor Hall pushes for housing, homelessness funding
- Bark beetle infestation continues to threaten Tahoe-Truckee forests
- Shortage of construction workers in Nevada County reaching critical levels
- Incline Flume Trail received $130K grant for improvements, and is now open to the public
- Series of earthquakes strike near Truckee
- Heavenly’s Epic Discovery program: Ultimate outdoor summer playground at Lake Tahoe (video)