Truckee businesses, community members support Whitney Wednesdays
June 12, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Five young students were among many Truckee locals and strangers who showed up at Cake Tahoe on May 28, purchasing cupcakes and donated in support of Whitney Hardy.
A 2006 Truckee High School 2006 graduate, Hardy was severely injured and suffers a traumatic brain injury after being hit by a car while out for an evening run.
Cake Tahoe kicked off Whitney Wednesdays, a fundraising campaign for her continued recovery.
Cake Tahoe's owner Johanna Lasseter-Curtis and her husband, Rob, donated $2,000 from the total sales and tips that day.
It was followed the next two Wednesdays by Wild Cherries Coffee House, donating their tips, which totalled more than $1,100. Yvonne, Michael and their staff listened to locals as they shared their stories about Whitney growing up in Truckee. Wild Cherries will continue to generously donate their tips each Wednesday during the month of June.
On Wednesday, June 18, Whitney Wednesday will be hosted at Truckee River Winery. Owners Russ and Joan Jones will match donations dollar for dollar up to $500. The winemakers' daughter and general manager of the winery Katy Jones went to school and is very good friends with Whitney. The Jones family has already hosted one fundraiser in honor of Whit and they continue to keep a donation jar in their tasting room every day. They are open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at 11467 Brockway Road. Visit their tasting room and enjoy distinctive wines from the highest and coldest winery.
Through these Whitney Wednesday fundraisers, the community of Truckee continues to do what they do best when people they love are going through difficult times. The amazing support through kind words and donations to Whitney is overwhelming as she continues her long road of rehabilitation. Local businesses continue to give and give!
These fundraisers could not happen without the selfless acts of shop owners Johanna Lasseter Curtis, Kristin Krone, Russ, Joan and Katy Jones. In addition, Rob McCarthy from McCarthy signs, in collaboration with TIP Printing and Graphics and Samantha Lindegren designed and printed signs and flyers to promote the fundraisers.
The Aug. 13 Music in the Park at Truckee Regional Park concert will be sponsored by #FightHardy.
For more information visit http://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/j524/-fighthardy. Read more about Whitney here.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Truckee Chief’s Corner: Follow these tips to know if the ice is safe
- Still no cause of Homewood ski resort, Tahoe City Henrikson fires
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week