Truckee Duckee Derbee dedicated to Timy Dutton
June 19, 2014
In horse racing terms, the 11th annual Truckee Duckee Derbee hit the trifecta.
“It was a record-breaker across the board,” said TDD organizer Bill Jensen. “We drew the largest crowd ever, sold the most ducks and raised the most money ever. It was a phenomenal day,”
The yearly rubber duck races, held at the River Ranch Lodge, are a fundraiser for the Humane Society of Truckee Tahoe. This year’s derbee was held June 8 and beautiful weather and an early start to the summer rafting season contributed to the large turnout.
“The Truckee Duckee Derbee is kind of the kickoff to summer,” says Jensen, who served as emcee along with Kristen Ferrall of Lake Tahoe Television. “It’s an unpredictable two-minute race built around a whole afternoon of fun and all for a great cause. People just love the Humane Society.”
Almost 400 rubber duckies negotiated the Truckee’s tricky currents and eddies down to the finish line in the River Ranch lagoon. The top three ducks shared the cash pot with the HSTT. Robert Kreibler of Truckee had the winning duck which earned him $300.
The main event was preceded by the always popular Dogz in Dudz contest. “Hank the Hipster” emerged as the top dog and won the “Big Bone” award along with dinner at the River Ranch for his owner.
Thanks to the support of the McConkey Foundation, this year’s TDD was dedicated to Timy Dutton whose nickname was “Rubber Ducky.” In honor of the late athlete the large inflatable rubber duck which floats in the lagoon during the race has been named Timy.
“It was a wonderful way to pay tribute to Timy Dutton,” said Sherry McConkey, who attended as a celebrity judge. “The foundation also supports the HSTT and all the great work that they do.”
For more information about the Humane Society, visit http://www.hstt.org.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens