Truckee High School senior killed in truck wreck
June 20, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A Truckee High School senior was killed in a rollover vehicle accident Tuesday evening west of Stampede Meadows in Sierra County, officials said.
Andrew L. Metlenko, 18, of Reno, was pronounced dead at the scene by Calfire after the 1995 Chevrolet pickup he was a passenger in overturned at about 6:20 p.m. Metlenko was ejected from the truck, according to a California Highway Patrol press release.
Metlenko was scheduled to be among 155 seniors graduating Saturday morning from Truckee High School.
Corey Adam Neill, 18, of Truckee, was driving the pickup on Sierra County Highway 860 at a "speed that was unsafe for the condition of the dirt/gravel roadway," according to CHP, and as he navigated a descending right-to-left-hand curve, he encountered several protruding rocks in the roadway.
Neill, a current Truckee High senior, lost control, causing the vehicle's rear tires to slide to the right and the vehicle to rotate across the roadway to the left. As the vehicle rotated, the front end left the ground, hitting a drainage ditch causing the vehicle to overturn.
Neill, who was wearing a seat belt, suffered no injuries. Alcohol was not a contributing factor to the accident, according to the department.
In a Wednesday interview, CHP Public Information Officer Pete Mann said preliminary findings show no physical signs that Metlenko was using a seat belt.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Creatures released into ‘Lake Tahoe’ go on killing spree in 2015 movie