Truckee High School senior killed in truck wreck
June 20, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A Truckee High School senior was killed in a rollover vehicle accident Tuesday evening west of Stampede Meadows in Sierra County, officials said.
Andrew L. Metlenko, 18, of Reno, was pronounced dead at the scene by Calfire after the 1995 Chevrolet pickup he was a passenger in overturned at about 6:20 p.m. Metlenko was ejected from the truck, according to a California Highway Patrol press release.
Metlenko was scheduled to be among 155 seniors graduating Saturday morning from Truckee High School.
Corey Adam Neill, 18, of Truckee, was driving the pickup on Sierra County Highway 860 at a “speed that was unsafe for the condition of the dirt/gravel roadway,” according to CHP, and as he navigated a descending right-to-left-hand curve, he encountered several protruding rocks in the roadway.
Neill, a current Truckee High senior, lost control, causing the vehicle’s rear tires to slide to the right and the vehicle to rotate across the roadway to the left. As the vehicle rotated, the front end left the ground, hitting a drainage ditch causing the vehicle to overturn.
Neill, who was wearing a seat belt, suffered no injuries. Alcohol was not a contributing factor to the accident, according to the department.
In a Wednesday interview, CHP Public Information Officer Pete Mann said preliminary findings show no physical signs that Metlenko was using a seat belt.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes