Truckee Tahoe Community Chorus’ ‘Broadway, Barab & Beethoven’ sure to entertain
April 24, 2014
What: Broadway, Barab & Beethoven
Who: Truckee Tahoe Community Chorus & Guests
When: May 3, 7 p.m. and May 4, 2 p.m.
Where: Resort at Squaw Creek
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — The Truckee Tahoe Community Chorus spring concert series, “Broadway, Barab & Beethoven” has something for everyone.
Sway in your seat, tap your toes and maybe even shed a tear with Broadway pieces from “Sister Act,” “Pirate of Penzance,” “Kiss Me Kate” and “Phantom of the Opera.”
Seymour Barab’s short, one-act comic opera “The Betrothal of Becky Brown” is sure to elicit a laugh. Set in a small 19th century western town, Becky, a young bride, discovers the ethics of respectability can be worse than those of criminality.
Finally, TTCC’s longtime collaboration with the Diablo Valley College (DVC) Philharmonic Orchestra continues with the performance of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony.
Voices from DVC choral groups and the Reno/Tahoe area will join TTCC for the “Symphony of Joy.”
TTCC is directed by Susan K. Horst and Dr. Thomas Acord. The DVC Philharmonic Orchestra is directed by Dr. Owen J. Lee.
“Broadway, Barab & Beethoven” will be performed Saturday, May 3, 7 p.m. and Sunday, May 4, 2 p.m. at the Resort at Squaw Creek.
Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at door, with children/students free. Purchase online at truckeechorus.org or local merchants — Dickson Realty (Donner Pass Road), The Office BOSS, and Cabona’s.
For more information email email@example.com or call 530-550-1091.
The Truckee Tahoe Community Chorus was organized in the spring of 2002. It is cosponsored by the Osher Life Long Learning Institute of Sierra College and charitable donations from the community. The chorus is made up of 60-plus members from Truckee and North Lake Tahoe, including gifted students and townspeople of various professions. The unifying ingredient of the group is a love and respect for choral music and a willingness to experience a wide range of musical styles.
The mission of the organization is to promote choral music and the arts in the schools and community and provide a performance outlet for members.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space