Two children, ages 7 and 8, hurt in Donner Lake boating accident
July 16, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Two children suffered minor injuries in a boating collision Sunday afternoon on Donner Lake, officials said.
Truckee Police and Fire personnel responded to the lake at about 12:30 p.m. and determined a personal watercraft towing an inner-tube device crossed the path of a boat pulling a skier, according to a police statement.
The boat ran over the watercraft's tow-line, ejecting two children, ages 7 and 8, who were riding on the inner-tube, into the water. The children were wearing life jackets and suffered minor injuries.
One of the children was flown to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno by Careflight as a precaution, but was in stable condition with minor injuries Sunday.
No one else was hurt. Neither alcohol nor drugs appear to be a factor in the collision, according to police.
"Truckee Police would like to remind everyone out on the lakes and rivers to wear a personal flotation device," officials said in the statement. "There is no doubt the use of personal flotation devices in this incident reduced the severity of the injuries. Boaters on Donner Lake are also reminded the lake has a counterclockwise rule, meaning boats must travel in a counterclockwise direction whenever they are 'on plane' or towing persons."
Anyone with information or who might have witnessed the incident should contact TPD officer Chase Covington at 530-550-2323. Persons wanting to remain anonymous may also use the department's Nixle Tip feature.
To do so, go to the TPD website (townoftruckee.com/departments/police) and click on the Nixle link, or call 855-TIPS-247 (855-847-7247).
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Truckee joins North Tahoe, Incline with CERT volunteer groups
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Explore Tahoe: Shake up party plans, drink some wine and try your hand at painting