Woman, 52, killed in crash with daughter on Lake Tahoe
August 6, 2013
EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this story indicated Ms. Finn was 53 years old, based on information provided by NDOW. She was 52, according to the Washoe County Medical Examiner’s Office.
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — A 52-year-old New Jersey woman was killed Wednesday in a personal watercraft collision with her daughter on Lake Tahoe.
The incident occurred at 1:50 p.m. roughly 200 yards off the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe-owned beach in Incline Village, said Edwin Lyngar, public information officer for the Nevada Department of Wildife’s law enforcement division.
The daughter, 21, was riding a personal watercraft when, for unknown reasons, she crashed into her mother’s personal watercraft, Lyngar said.
The mother — identified Thursday by the Washoe County Medical Examiner’s Office as Westwood, N.J., resident Dawn Finn — “was killed almost on impact,” Lyngar said. She reportedly suffered massive trauma.
The daughter, also of Westwood, N.J., was not injured.
“This is just a tragic accident. Our hearts go out to the family involved. It’s just horrific,” Lyngar said.
An NDOW representative and other emergency responders were on the scene by 2:12 p.m., Lyngar said, but CPR on Finn was unsuccessful.
NDOW has taken possession of the two watercraft, which were rented from Action Water Sports, as part of the department’s ongoing investigation, Lyngar said.
“As tragic as this is, it serves as a reminder for people to be careful when on unfamiliar watercraft … especially if they’re inexperienced in operating them,” he said. “They are very powerful machines and can be very dangerous.”
Alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash, Lyngar said.
A phone message seeking comment from Action Water Sports was not returned for this story.
Finn and her daughter were in town with family for a wedding, according to sources.
Much of the family was at the beach at the time of the incident, Lyngar said.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes