Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee: Small batch specialty coffees are for everyone
July 15, 2014
In the world of coffee roasting, there are trendsetters; there are the trendy; and then there's Tim Curry.
His commitment to meticulously roasting custom blends in small batches would be enough to make him an artisan. But Tim doesn't stop there. He's the sort of passionate craftsman who will tinker with something until it's perfect. That's why he roasts every batch of coffee over an oak-wood fire.
His Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee Company is one of under a dozen wood-fire roasters in the country.
Recently, Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee has become available in Lake Tahoe area markets.
“I have to tell you, this is the smoothest coffee I’ve ever tasted in my life. Drizzle-silk-on-a-milky-bed-of-goose-feathers smooth. Pinot noir-nitrogenated-Irish-ale smooth.”
Louis D, Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee customer
Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee has been a regional favorite since Tim Curry opened his roasting facility in Reno in 2001. A meticulous craftsman with a background in restaurant management and wine-list development, Curry fusses over every facet of every batch of coffee.
He selects only the most flavorful beans, listens for the telltale crackling sounds as they roast, and adjusts continually to create maximally complex flavor profiles.
Curry doesn't spend much time thinking about iced lattes or single-cup brewing — or any other recent coffee trends. Pointing into a steaming cup, he announces with conviction, "I focus on THAT. Everything I do is about the cup."
Curry's customers love his coffee for its smoothness, low acidity and complex flavors that include nuances of butterscotch, milk chocolate, floral notes, or citrus. Demand has been increasing steadily and Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee has kept up by increasing availability in an ever-expanding list of stores, restaurants and coffeehouses.
A STORE NEAR YOU
Find Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee at the following locations:
Village Market, 770 Mays Blvd., No. 2, Incline Village, Nev., 775-831-5025.
Overland Meats and Seafood, 2227 Lake Tahoe Blvd., Ste. C, (Kings Trading Post), South Lake Tahoe, 530-544-3204.
Grassroots Natural Foods, 2030 Dunlap Drive, South Lake Tahoe, 530-541-7788.
Visit http://woodfireroasted.com for a full list of Wood-Fire Roasted Coffee purveyors, coffee tips, specialty blends, gift bags and the monthly coffee club offerings or call 775-856-2033.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Truckee joins North Tahoe, Incline with CERT volunteer groups
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered