World War II pilot speaks at Experimental Aircraft Association meeting
March 29, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — George Grupe, a World War II B24 Liberator pilot and military historian was guest speaker at the Experimental Aircraft Association Truckee Tahoe Chapter 1073 general membership meeting.
Grupe, a 92-year-old EAA member, reminisced about his experience as a young cadet in 1942, on Tuesday, March 11. Grupe has amassed a large collection of memorabilia regarding WWII and continues to honor fellow veterans as a guest speaker.
According to http://www.eaa1073.org, the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) is an organization of members with a wide range of aviation interests and backgrounds, dedicated to preserving flying of any kind.
Since its founding in 1953 by people interested in building their own airplanes, the organization has expanded its mission to include antiques, classics, warbirds, aerobatic aircraft, ultralights, helicopters, and contemporary manufactured aircraft.
EAA Chapter 1073 is based at the EAA 1073 hangar, Truckee-Tahoe Airport.
The Truckee Tahoe AirShow & Family Festival to be held July 11 will benefit EAA Chapter 1073, KidZone Museum and the Truckee Optimist Club. Visit truckeetahoeairshow.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Angora Fire reinforced importance of fuels reduction in Tahoe Basin
- Lake Tahoe pro skier sells creative, fresh-fruit popsicles (on a bike)
- Truckee Artist Lofts experience setback
- Parasol’s building proposal gets no quick answer in Incline Village
- Nevada County Supervisor Hall pushes for housing, homelessness funding
- Bark beetle infestation continues to threaten Tahoe-Truckee forests
- Shortage of construction workers in Nevada County reaching critical levels
- Incline Flume Trail received $130K grant for improvements, and is now open to the public
- Series of earthquakes strike near Truckee
- Heavenly’s Epic Discovery program: Ultimate outdoor summer playground at Lake Tahoe (video)