Obituary: Anthony C. Steiner
August 22, 2013
My dear husband Tony passed away at age 88 on Friday, July 26 2013 peacefully in his sleep at home.
Tony was born in Detroit to parents who had immigrated from Hungary. After graduating from High School, he was he was drafted to serve his country. He trained at Camp Pendleton, became a medic and was shipped out to Guam. After the war, he was accepted at USC, graduated and went on to UCLA for his MA degree ad his teaching credentials.
Tony is survived by his wife Gisela, his two children, Paul and Ruth and their families. After retiring from teaching, we moved to Tahoe Vista to live in our cabin, which we had build in 1969. In 1999 we moved to Truckee.
Tony loved to hike, camp, but most of all to ski. He worked as lift operator on the Meadow Chair at Alpine meadows Ski Resort for many years. He was known as the "Meadow Moose."
Tony skied despite his vision loss until he was 86. The rest of the year he hiked with the Tahoe Trail Trekkers and was very active in the hiking club.
He loved history and on weekends worked as docent at the Truckee Jail. He loved to be with people. He was so considerate and had a great smile and humor. Now his is missed by all who knew him. May he rest in peace.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan