Obituary: Benjamin Walker Riley
July 14, 2014
Benjamin Walker Riley was born on July 11, 1984, and raised, in Truckee, California. He passed on June 17, 2014, from complications due to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a disease he dealt with his whole life.
Ben was loved by all who knew him … for his enduring spirit, wit and inner strength as he made his way through a life that was rarely an easy path to travel. He was such a great guy and we miss his smile, laugh and his wonderful sense of humor.
Ben never gave up. Even as the muscles in his body weakened from the disease, he always found new ways to accomplish the things he liked to do. He was a talented artist and had a great ear for music. Although shy at first, he was very gregarious and looked forward to all social gatherings and parties. Ben was also a romantic guy … he loved and respected women.
Ben was restricted to his wheelchair here on earth. In heaven, not only can he walk, he can soar. Ben is survived by his father, Patrick Riley; his mother, Shirley Riley and his brother, Jonathan Riley. We all miss him so, so very much.
A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 1:00 PM on July 27, 2O14 on the Truckee River at the lower BBQ area at Regional Park in Truckee.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues