Obituary: Colleen Brockman
October 16, 2013
Joyce Colleen Brockman, 86, of Incline Village, NV, died suddenly Oct. 10, 2013, at Renown Medical Center in Reno of a massive stroke.
Colleen was born July 27, 1927, in Kingsley, Iowa, to parents Charles and Agnes Grothaus. Colleen grew up in Long Beach, CA. Graduated from Long Beach Poly High School where she was on the school's tennis team.
She held secretarial jobs at Union Oil Co. and for the dean of Compton College where she met and married Gene Brockman, her husband of 59 years. Together that had two children: Nancy Brockman of Torrance, CA, and Eric Brockman of Chicago, IL.
She was a professional homemaker for her family and a strong support for her husband's career. Colleen also lived in Irvine, CA; Chicago; Cincinnati; and Danville, CA, before retirement and moving to Incline Village in 1988.
Besides being an avid tennis player all her life, Colleen was also an accomplished skier. She was a champion skier with the Long Beach Ski Club for many years and was looking forward to another winter on the slopes of Diamond Peak in a few weeks.
After moving to Incline Village Colleen was active in tennis, in The Teesters ladies golf club, The Incliners organization for seniors, and she worked several years part-time as receptionist at Incline Village General Improvement District. Colleen also worked at Diamond Peak as ski condition reporter and host in skier services.
Friends and family will gather on October 26 at 2:00 PM at the Diamond Peak Ski Lodge.
Her sunny disposition and perpetual smile will be missed in this community.
Trending In: Obituaries
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?