Obituary: Les Atkins
March 12, 2013
Les Atkins died at his Truckee home on January 28, 2013, of natural causes. He was born January 8, 1937, in Chico, Calif.
Les lived in California all his life, growing up in Chico and attending Sonoma State College where he obtained a degree in Psychology. After graduating, Les held various positions including a stint in the military in Germany, driving trucks all over the west, teaching elementary school and working as a loan officer in a bank. He finally settled in Truckee with his life partner, Angela in 1999, where they lived happily with their dogs.
For 16 years, Les was an active member of the Sierra Club as a volunteer trip leader. He led service trips, backpack trips, trips to Hawaii and international trips to England and Ireland. He was also volunteered at the Truckee Historical Society as a tour guide for the jail and delivered meals for meals on wheels to senior citizens.
Les is survived by his life partner, Angela; son, Mark Atkins; daughter, Erin Guzman; daughter-in-law, Teresa; grandchild, Emily; son-in-law, Alan; and grandchildren Mark and Emil; and his blended family, including Natasha, Chloe and Ryan Dierks of Truckee; Ross White of Denver; Jonathan and Ellie White of San Francisco; and Helen White and George Chambers of New York City.
A celebration of life will be planned in the future. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Yosemite Conservancy.
Trending In: Obituaries
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village
- Lake Tahoe has seen 138.65 billion gallons of water since October