Obituary: Maria “Maita” Pavel
December 11, 2013
Maria "Maita" Pavel, age 85 Of Squaw Valley, CA passed away on Tuesday December 5th 2013. Maita was born in Paris, France on October 26th 1928 she spent the past 40 years living with her husband Eric Pavel in Squaw Valley CA. They both enjoyed residing in their log cabin while operating their business, the Squaw Valley Stables.
Maita's love of horses, ponies, and children inspired her in her everyday life. Maita spent her youth in France during the WWII, her family sheltered a downed US air force pilot in there home at great peril until Liberation Day. Maita's two brothers Manuel and Roberto were both part at the French Resistance.
After the war Maita's family moved to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil where she met and married her husband for life, and spent the 60 years together.
They migrated to the USA in 1953 and moved to San Clemente, CA. where they worked together to produce documentaries. They spent a life of traveling through out the world filming and producing 16mm cultural documentary films, which were presented on stage, TV, including National Geographic.
Her son Mike Pavel, and her 2 grandsons Michael and Danny, who all live in Squaw Valley, survive Maita's legacy.
There will be a service for Maita Pavel with her family and friends at Queen of the Snows in Squaw Valley CA. at 3:00 followed by a celebration of her life in her log cabin at the Squaw Valley Stables at 4:30. Please feel free to attend. Questions? Call Mike Pavel at 530-583-4707.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee’s craft beer scene exploded way back in 1876 with opening of the massive Boca Brewery
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe