Obituary: Maria “Maita” Pavel
December 11, 2013
Maria "Maita" Pavel, age 85 Of Squaw Valley, CA passed away on Tuesday December 5th 2013. Maita was born in Paris, France on October 26th 1928 she spent the past 40 years living with her husband Eric Pavel in Squaw Valley CA. They both enjoyed residing in their log cabin while operating their business, the Squaw Valley Stables.
Maita's love of horses, ponies, and children inspired her in her everyday life. Maita spent her youth in France during the WWII, her family sheltered a downed US air force pilot in there home at great peril until Liberation Day. Maita's two brothers Manuel and Roberto were both part at the French Resistance.
After the war Maita's family moved to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil where she met and married her husband for life, and spent the 60 years together.
They migrated to the USA in 1953 and moved to San Clemente, CA. where they worked together to produce documentaries. They spent a life of traveling through out the world filming and producing 16mm cultural documentary films, which were presented on stage, TV, including National Geographic.
Her son Mike Pavel, and her 2 grandsons Michael and Danny, who all live in Squaw Valley, survive Maita's legacy.
There will be a service for Maita Pavel with her family and friends at Queen of the Snows in Squaw Valley CA. at 3:00 followed by a celebration of her life in her log cabin at the Squaw Valley Stables at 4:30. Please feel free to attend. Questions? Call Mike Pavel at 530-583-4707.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Crews to cut power for hour at Martis Camp, Schaffer’s Mill, other locations due to dangerous tree
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week