Obituary: Rudolf Gautschi
February 27, 2014
Rudolf “Rudy” Gautschi passed away in his home Thursday February 13th, 2014.
Rudy is survived by his wife of 68 years Mariam “Sandy”, his two sons, Bob and Rich and his daughter, Susan Caldwell of Alpine Meadows, 5 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Rudy was born in 1922 in Switzerland. He immigrated with his parents, Gottlieb and Martha in 1924 to Menlo Park Ca. After graduating from Sequoia High School he joined the United States Army during WWII from 1942-1945. He served in the South Pacific where he was one of the many unsung hero’s of WWII.
Upon returning to the real world he married Sandy November 29th, 1946 and began their family. They moved from Auburn, Menlo Park, Portola Valley, and Los Altos Hills. Rudy worked for both PG&E and Bell Telephone while Sandy taught at Palo Alto High School. Upon their retirements they moved to Truckee in 1976.
Their most enjoyable time was spent fishing and enjoying the outdoors. Sandy went on to become and avid golfer while Rudy found it a ridiculous sport “chasing a white ball around the countryside.” The Gautschi home has become a meeting place for holidays and family get-togethers and will continue to be so for generations to come. Thank you “pop” for your years of hard work and your life lessons.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village