Jim Porter: Nag, nag, nag…
August 22, 2013
An attorney arrived home late, after a very tough day trying to get a stay of execution for his convicted client. His last minute plea for clemency to the governor had failed and he was feeling worn out and depressed.
As soon as he walked through the door at home, his wife started in on him about, “What time of night to be getting home is this? Where have you been? Dinner is cold and I’m not reheating it.”
And, on and on and on.
Too shattered to play his usual role in this familiar ritual, he poured himself a shot of whiskey and headed off for a long hot soak in the bathtub, pursued by the predictable sarcastic remarks as he dragged himself up the stairs.
While he was in the bath, the phone rang. The wife answered and was told that her husband’s client, James Wright, had been granted a stay of execution after all. Wright would not be hanged tonight.
Finally realizing what a terrible day he must have had, she decided to go upstairs and give him the good news.
As she opened the bathroom door, she was greeted by the sight of her husband, bent over naked, drying his legs and feet.
“They’re not hanging Wright tonight,” she said.
He whirled around and screamed, “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN, DON’T YOU EVER STOP?”
• • •
I’ve been saving this little jewel. I don’t have time this week to write my usual boring column.
Jim Porter is an attorney with Porter Simon licensed in California and Nevada, with offices in Truckee and Tahoe City, California, and Reno, Nevada. He was the Governor’s appointee to the California Fair Political Practices Commission involving election law and the Political Reform Act. Jim’s practice areas include: real estate, development, construction, business, HOA’s, contracts, personal injury, mediation and other transactional matters. He may be reached at email@example.com or at the firm’s web site http://www.portersimon.com. Find us on Facebook.
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: The facts about Washoe school’s capital program, amid WC-1
- Jennifer Montgomery: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure M (opinion)
- TRPA Opinion: Working together on Lake Tahoe’s housing problems
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Opinion: Vote for Gary Johnson for U.S. President
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway