Letter to the Editor: Chase bears away —don’t photograph them
April 16, 2014
This letter is in response to the story, "How the BEAR League was formed," by Toree Warfield in last week's Bonanza.
In reading about the formation of the BEAR League, we read about bears named Rudy, Charlie, Bitsy, Sunny and Natalie. Giving bears cute names like these encourages people to think of them as pets, rather than as the wild animals that they are.
We are then more likely to tolerate their presence close to houses, less likely to angrily chase them away. This tolerance is what ultimately gets bears killed. Those who wish to protect bears can start by no longer giving them names and by chasing them rather than photographing them.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- New mountain community under construction in Carson Ridge
- New possible grocery store for Truckee
- Martis Valley West battle heats up
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)