Letter to the Editor: Chase bears away —don’t photograph them
April 16, 2014
This letter is in response to the story, “How the BEAR League was formed,” by Toree Warfield in last week’s Bonanza.
In reading about the formation of the BEAR League, we read about bears named Rudy, Charlie, Bitsy, Sunny and Natalie. Giving bears cute names like these encourages people to think of them as pets, rather than as the wild animals that they are.
We are then more likely to tolerate their presence close to houses, less likely to angrily chase them away. This tolerance is what ultimately gets bears killed. Those who wish to protect bears can start by no longer giving them names and by chasing them rather than photographing them.
Trending In: Opinion
- Details unclear after apparent crime at Truckee Bank of America
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe (photos)
- E. coli, coliform bacteria found in Squaw Valley drinking water at upper mountain
- Truckee Police Logs: Man walks into store, nabs jacket, sunglasses
- Truckee CHP: Man stowed 64 pounds of pot in car’s fuel cell