Letter to the Editor: Chase bears away —don’t photograph them
April 16, 2014
This letter is in response to the story, "How the BEAR League was formed," by Toree Warfield in last week's Bonanza.
In reading about the formation of the BEAR League, we read about bears named Rudy, Charlie, Bitsy, Sunny and Natalie. Giving bears cute names like these encourages people to think of them as pets, rather than as the wild animals that they are.
We are then more likely to tolerate their presence close to houses, less likely to angrily chase them away. This tolerance is what ultimately gets bears killed. Those who wish to protect bears can start by no longer giving them names and by chasing them rather than photographing them.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Wildfire risk a concern in Tahoe Truckee
- Tahoe City company brings gourmet dining to the wilderness
- Incline Flume Trail received $130K grant for improvements, and is now open to the public
- Skyrunners take on high-altitude terrain at Squaw Valley
- Parasol’s building proposal gets no quick answer in Incline Village