Letter to the Editor: Corporations enjoy best of both sides
May 23, 2013
Corporations enjoy best of both sides
In her recent Letter to the Editor entitled, “Obama’s oil company plan a bad idea,” the writer criticized the Obama administration for its intention to close corporate loopholes currently enjoyed by the oil and gas industry. Her argument was that by doing so, pump prices were sure to rise thereby discouraging tourism.
This is precisely the sort of ransom note the most profitable industry in human history might have written themselves. For too long our most incredibly (dare I say obscenely) profitable corporations have enjoyed the best of both sides of the classic economic debate — socialism vs. capitalism.
Even as they rake in unprecedented treasure in our global market economy, they suck greedily from the public treasury by propagating the misguided notion that without that extra public funding, they would surely have to raise their prices.
At some point, an enlightened public must recoil at this sort of extortion … and the sooner the better.
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: The facts about Washoe school’s capital program, amid WC-1
- Jennifer Montgomery: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure M (opinion)
- TRPA Opinion: Working together on Lake Tahoe’s housing problems
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Opinion: Vote for Gary Johnson for U.S. President
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway