Letter to the Editor: Editor wrong in opinion on voting
March 24, 2014
Regarding the editor’s column, “Why I exercise my right not to vote,” in the March 10, 2014, Sierra Sun, the smug assertion that not voting is an admirable quality or that suffrage is less impactful than the NCAA tournament is repugnant.
It seems to me what Mr. MacMillan is really saying is that he is too lazy to be an informed, active citizen. Unless we have citizens who care enough to understand the issues and take part in electing officials, we will get the stereotype of the politicians he describes.
I think that editorial reflects poorly on the journalistic standards of the Sierra Sun.
Trending In: Opinion
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Opinion: keeping Squaw’s old stories — a ritual of remembrance, grief
- Opinion: CATTPAC’s endorsements for Tahoe-Truckee races, measures
- Opinion: Do not vote for Horan, Morris for IVGID Board
- Mental Health Matters: The great marijuana legalization debate (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck