Letter to the Editor: Editor wrong in opinion on voting
March 24, 2014
Regarding the editor’s column, “Why I exercise my right not to vote,” in the March 10, 2014, Sierra Sun, the smug assertion that not voting is an admirable quality or that suffrage is less impactful than the NCAA tournament is repugnant.
It seems to me what Mr. MacMillan is really saying is that he is too lazy to be an informed, active citizen. Unless we have citizens who care enough to understand the issues and take part in electing officials, we will get the stereotype of the politicians he describes.
I think that editorial reflects poorly on the journalistic standards of the Sierra Sun.
Trending In: Opinion
- Jim Porter: Noncompetition clauses illegal in California (opinion)
- Opinion: We all should respect the office of the president
- Jim Clark: Would ‘Klan laws’ be same for black bloc protest? (opinion)
- Opinion: Placer County can learn affordable housing lesson from Truckee
- Out of the Blue: Trump’s funny — cringe-worthy? — moments (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village