Letter to the Editor: Embarrassed for Tahoe tourists over July 4 weekend
July 8, 2014
Dear Tahoe Tourists,
I just got back from a mountain bike ride, in which I rode the bike path from Squaw to Tahoe City to get back to my car on Sunday. I have to say, are you kidding me? Do you have any self respect? Where are your parents and how can you look at yourself in the mirror?
The trash was beyond anything that should be tolerated by anyone. There is no way all the rafts, bottles, Styrofoam coolers, etc., can be picked up. The beauty and health of the river and wildlife must be negatively impacted.
I get that there will be some collateral damage from overuse and partying. I've been dealing with that for 20 years, but come on. This is the headwater for a pristine mountain river that has been so disrespected, I say don't come back until you grow up and learn to respect yourselves and the environment.
The economy needs the money, but I for one don't think it is worth it. I'm embarrassed for tourists. Don't come to your and our nature and wreck it. The authorities need to make some examples of people by punishing this behavior severely.
The culture of tourists on the river needs to be dealt with because what I saw today was pathetic. What in the world is going on?
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Jim Clark: Charlie Munger’s advice for Donald Trump haters (opinion)
- Opinion: Too much at stake to let a celebrity clown like Trump lead America
- Jim Porter: A break from the weather; humor with the law (opinion)
- Opinion: Being quiet and ‘giving the president a chance’ misses point of democracy
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms