Letter to the Editor: Embarrassed for Tahoe tourists over July 4 weekend
July 8, 2014
Dear Tahoe Tourists,
I just got back from a mountain bike ride, in which I rode the bike path from Squaw to Tahoe City to get back to my car on Sunday. I have to say, are you kidding me? Do you have any self respect? Where are your parents and how can you look at yourself in the mirror?
The trash was beyond anything that should be tolerated by anyone. There is no way all the rafts, bottles, Styrofoam coolers, etc., can be picked up. The beauty and health of the river and wildlife must be negatively impacted.
I get that there will be some collateral damage from overuse and partying. I’ve been dealing with that for 20 years, but come on. This is the headwater for a pristine mountain river that has been so disrespected, I say don’t come back until you grow up and learn to respect yourselves and the environment.
The economy needs the money, but I for one don’t think it is worth it. I’m embarrassed for tourists. Don’t come to your and our nature and wreck it. The authorities need to make some examples of people by punishing this behavior severely.
The culture of tourists on the river needs to be dealt with because what I saw today was pathetic. What in the world is going on?
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: The facts about Washoe school’s capital program, amid WC-1
- Jennifer Montgomery: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure M (opinion)
- TRPA Opinion: Working together on Lake Tahoe’s housing problems
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Opinion: Vote for Gary Johnson for U.S. President
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway