Letter to the Editor: Identity theft waiting to happen
June 26, 2013
We've had an interesting couple of weeks watching officials of the IRS and NSA try to defend their actions. At the forefront of the news is the question of who was involved in the decision to target political groups. Additionally, the American people are very interested in how the government balances their privacy with security.
On the subject of privacy, I received my first bill for Medicare. Included on the bill was the typical, "Include your account number with your payment." I was astounded when I saw my account number. It was my social security number. No matter how I pay my bill, my social security number will be involved. This is identity theft just waiting to happen.
Personally, I'm going to campaign to stop this. I would encourage those of you who are in the same situation to do the same.
Trending In: Opinion
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?