Letter to the Editor: Identity theft waiting to happen
June 26, 2013
We’ve had an interesting couple of weeks watching officials of the IRS and NSA try to defend their actions. At the forefront of the news is the question of who was involved in the decision to target political groups. Additionally, the American people are very interested in how the government balances their privacy with security.
On the subject of privacy, I received my first bill for Medicare. Included on the bill was the typical, “Include your account number with your payment.” I was astounded when I saw my account number. It was my social security number. No matter how I pay my bill, my social security number will be involved. This is identity theft just waiting to happen.
Personally, I’m going to campaign to stop this. I would encourage those of you who are in the same situation to do the same.
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: keeping Squaw’s old stories — a ritual of remembrance, grief
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Opinion: CATTPAC’s endorsements for Tahoe-Truckee races, measures
- Opinion: Do not vote for Horan, Morris for IVGID Board
- Mental Health Matters: The great marijuana legalization debate (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck