Letter to the Editor: Identity theft waiting to happen
June 26, 2013
We've had an interesting couple of weeks watching officials of the IRS and NSA try to defend their actions. At the forefront of the news is the question of who was involved in the decision to target political groups. Additionally, the American people are very interested in how the government balances their privacy with security.
On the subject of privacy, I received my first bill for Medicare. Included on the bill was the typical, "Include your account number with your payment." I was astounded when I saw my account number. It was my social security number. No matter how I pay my bill, my social security number will be involved. This is identity theft just waiting to happen.
Personally, I'm going to campaign to stop this. I would encourage those of you who are in the same situation to do the same.
Trending In: Opinion
- Note from the Superintendent: So many great things to celebrate within TTUSD
- Opinion: We all should respect the office of the president
- Jim Porter: Noncompetition clauses illegal in California (opinion)
- Obituaries: Local artist remembered for community contributions
- IVGID GM’s Corner: Thanks for taking part in community survey
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan