Letter to the Editor: In awe at July 4 parade rules reaction
July 22, 2013
I am in awe at the response some locals have had to the new Fourth of July Parade rules. These rules were very clearly (and I'm sure well discussed) made for the safety of our children. It's sad to hear that there are people who think that the parade is no longer any "fun" just because there's no candy or water spraying allowed.
I attended the parade this year and very much enjoyed it … except for the few minutes I had to hold my breath while one of the parade participants (in a very large truck) stopped to pass out stickers to the hordes of children that ran across the street without even looking.
I was so nervous that a small child would not been seen (and there was no way they could have been from the driver's seat) when the truck started to move again.
Let me remind those who feel the need to shame the town for this safety decision, that having a young child injured during the parade is what would make it no longer "fun." I fully support this decision and would be happier to see parade participants, at the very least, be understanding of these new rules for the safety of our children and other parade-goers.
Float participants can make a personal decision to partake or not in years to come, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us (children included) who are still happy to have such a wonderful event each year for our fun, festive, and very family oriented town.
Trending In: Opinion
- TRPA Opinion: We can’t solve Lake Tahoe’s transit issues overnight
- Opinion: CA Sen. Ted Gaines fails as a leader, blames others instead
- Truckee Police Logs: Man drives down train tracks, arrested for DUI
- Jim Porter: Feel comfortable helping someone as a ‘Good Samaritan’ (opinion)
- Sen. Ted Gaines opinion: Sanctuary state a bad idea for California
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Lake Tahoe transportation: Six ways to travel here without your car