Letter to the Editor: IVGID beach entrances on July 4 a disgrace
Ryan Summerlin July 14, 2014
What a mess! What an absolute mess the entry to Incline Beach was for the fireworks show on July 4. My family and I have been attending this lovely event for 14 years; this was by far the most disorganized, chaotic and frustrating experience ever.
It took us 45 minutes to get into the beach with our resident passes. The line was outrageously long and culminated by the front gate in a big crowd of people smashed together; there was no crowd control by law enforcement or IVGID staff whatsoever. People were cutting in line, pushing, yelling and swearing.
It appeared that only 2-3 people were checking passes for hundreds of people attempting to get in. Then, the fireworks started and tons of families were left still standing in line, unable to get into the beach in time. Kids actually started crying!
IVIGDs decision to check passes created more problems than I have ever noticed in the past. Numerous people in line were grumbling about what an awful experience it was. What a total disappointment.
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: Kudos to Placer supes for positive Martis Valley West vote
- Opinion: Vote for Rick Stephens for Truckee Tahoe Airport District board
- Note from the editor: Sierra Sun-Bonanza election letters policy
- Jim Porter: Are pliers considered burglar’s tools? (opinion)
- Mental Health Matters: Is alcohol the most dangerous drug in America? (opinion)
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- LIVE COVERAGE: Truckee football takes on Elko in undefeated showdown
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000