Letter to the Editor: Nevada is not NDOW’s personal fiefdom
February 5, 2014
In the "News Briefs" section of the Jan. 23, 2014, Bonanza, the report on the bear trap tampering case has a factual error.
There is a statement attributed to NDOW spokesman Chris Healy claiming that "this marks the first time anyone has been prosecuted for tampering with a bear trap in Nevada."
In fact, an NDOW warden cited an Incline resident almost two years ago for tampering with a bear trap set on Matchless Court. The case was ultimately dropped by the District Attorney's office because the citing warden made a false statement on the citation, the trap was set illegally by NDOW and because these traps pose a serious threat of harm and death to children and pets.
NDOW regularly sets traps illegally, violating the NRS prohibitions on setting traps on private property without permission and on setting traps on or within 200 feet of public roadways. Many traps set in or near Incline Village in the past three years, including the one for which the current charges have been filed, has been set in violation of these Statutes. One of the traps set last fall was even removed at the order of the sheriff's office after complaints were received for illegal trap setting.
NDOW is not exempt from state and federal law, and Nevada is not their personal fiefdom.
Trending In: Opinion
- TRPA Opinion: We can’t solve Lake Tahoe’s transit issues overnight
- Opinion: CA Sen. Ted Gaines fails as a leader, blames others instead
- Sen. Ted Gaines opinion: Sanctuary state a bad idea for California
- Truckee Police Logs: Man drives down train tracks, arrested for DUI
- Jim Porter: Feel comfortable helping someone as a ‘Good Samaritan’ (opinion)
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- $180,000 raised at Truckee-Tahoe humane society event at The Ritz