Letter to the Editor: Rethink names of alcohol-themed fundraisers
October 10, 2013
Once again, the Truckee Police Department has expressed public concern about alcohol use by students at Truckee High School.
When it comes to alcohol, teens often seek to mimic their elders. In the Truckee-Tahoe area, high-visibility, alcohol-titled public events are increasingly being promoted and staged: Brewfest, Wine on the Water, Wine Walk & Shop, Cowgirls & Cocktails, as well as others.
As a parent of a teen killed in an alcohol-fueled auto crash, I believe we might want to dial back the emphasis on alcohol as the headlined theme and focus of these functions, while keeping in mind some of them help support worthy charities.
Our children are observing all of this. And some of them, apparently, are drinking at a very early age.
Trending In: Opinion
- Note from the Superintendent: So many great things to celebrate within TTUSD
- Opinion: We all should respect the office of the president
- Jim Porter: Noncompetition clauses illegal in California (opinion)
- Obituaries: Local artist remembered for community contributions
- IVGID GM’s Corner: Thanks for taking part in community survey
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan