Letter to the Editor: Rethink names of alcohol-themed fundraisers
October 10, 2013
Once again, the Truckee Police Department has expressed public concern about alcohol use by students at Truckee High School.
When it comes to alcohol, teens often seek to mimic their elders. In the Truckee-Tahoe area, high-visibility, alcohol-titled public events are increasingly being promoted and staged: Brewfest, Wine on the Water, Wine Walk & Shop, Cowgirls & Cocktails, as well as others.
As a parent of a teen killed in an alcohol-fueled auto crash, I believe we might want to dial back the emphasis on alcohol as the headlined theme and focus of these functions, while keeping in mind some of them help support worthy charities.
Our children are observing all of this. And some of them, apparently, are drinking at a very early age.
Trending In: Opinion
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)