Letter to the Editor: Star Follies creates sense of community
April 3, 2013
For many of us, the year revolves around the Follies. We secretly wait for Christmas to be over so we can start rehearsing. This year the show was fabulous, and what I think is most fabulous about the Follies isn't actually the show itself, but what the show creates within us and within our community.
Where as in many towns you mark the years with parties and beach trips among friends, the Follies brings people together who would not otherwise cross paths, and whom, because of the Follies, share a deep bond of belonging.
It's hard to capture with words the cherished sweetness of this gift, the effect on children and adults of hearing laughter and applause for their numbers, or on those in the audience of seeing their friends on stage, the excitement of displaying the beauty and talent that otherwise would be hidden, the oneness that exists in the room.
I am so grateful for those who spend endless hours doing this great service and I pray that the Follies never dies.
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Out of the Blue: Once upon a time in Sweden… (opinion)
- Jim Clark: Charlie Munger’s advice for Donald Trump haters (opinion)
- Opinion: Recent violence In America unprovoked by the right
- Opinion: Too much at stake to let a celebrity clown like Trump lead America
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Explore Tahoe: Shake up party plans, drink some wine and try your hand at painting