Letter to the Editor: The importance of voting
March 24, 2014
For over 200 years, men and women of this great nation have spilled blood and paid the ultimate price in order that citizens of this free nation might have the privilege to vote. Voting is not just a privilege, it is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly, whether at the local or national level.
To have a managing editor of our local newspaper write an opinion column ("Why I exercise my right not to vote," March 19, 2014, Sierra Sun), about his right not to vote is, in my opinion, doing a disservice to the newspaper community in which he serves.
The reasons provided by the editor for not voting were actually a cop out. It is each individual's responsibility to clear the smoke of political rhetoric and ascertain what the particular politician actually represents. If that individual represents the will of the people, and has the character to pursue what is best for the community or the nation, then he or she is deserving of your vote.
President Theodore Roosevelt once wrote, "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing … A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Every election is important as is every vote. There are no good reasons not to vote, only excuses.
Trending In: Opinion
- TRPA Opinion: We can’t solve Lake Tahoe’s transit issues overnight
- Opinion: CA Sen. Ted Gaines fails as a leader, blames others instead
- Sen. Ted Gaines opinion: Sanctuary state a bad idea for California
- Truckee Police Logs: Man drives down train tracks, arrested for DUI
- Jim Porter: Feel comfortable helping someone as a ‘Good Samaritan’ (opinion)
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- $180,000 raised at Truckee-Tahoe humane society event at The Ritz