Letter to the Editor: Town council makes right moves with AIS, trails votes
January 21, 2014
The Truckee Town Council considered two important agenda items during their regular council meeting on Jan. 14.
The first was a Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Ordinance Amendment and Watercraft Inspection Program. This is an extremely important investment in the protection of our community. High quality, clean recreational waters are very valuable to our local economy.
Clean water is a big reason why people live and recreate here. Clear Lake, Calif., is the textbook example of environmental degradation leading to economic loss. Clear Lake was clean, became polluted and now nobody wants to live or go there. Clear Lake is one of the poorest counties in California. Keep Donner Lake clear and clean!
The second important agenda item involved the Consideration of a Potential Sales Tax Ballot Measure Dedicated to Trails. This ballot measure will provide a 1/4 cent sales tax that will pay for trail construction. This would be a direct investment in our community infrastructure that will pay off many times over.
It is very similar to roads. Good roads provide economic benefit. The construction of trails will help increase property values, attract tourist dollars and they are fun. Vote yes for trails!
Thank you to the Town Council for supporting these measures.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Bark beetle infestation continues to threaten Tahoe-Truckee forests
- Shortage of construction workers in Nevada County reaching critical levels
- Incline Flume Trail received $130K grant for improvements, and is now open to the public
- Heavenly’s Epic Discovery program: Ultimate outdoor summer playground at Lake Tahoe (video)
- Tahoe City company brings gourmet dining to the wilderness