Letter to the Editor: Town council makes right moves with AIS, trails votes
January 21, 2014
The Truckee Town Council considered two important agenda items during their regular council meeting on Jan. 14.
The first was a Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Ordinance Amendment and Watercraft Inspection Program. This is an extremely important investment in the protection of our community. High quality, clean recreational waters are very valuable to our local economy.
Clean water is a big reason why people live and recreate here. Clear Lake, Calif., is the textbook example of environmental degradation leading to economic loss. Clear Lake was clean, became polluted and now nobody wants to live or go there. Clear Lake is one of the poorest counties in California. Keep Donner Lake clear and clean!
The second important agenda item involved the Consideration of a Potential Sales Tax Ballot Measure Dedicated to Trails. This ballot measure will provide a 1/4 cent sales tax that will pay for trail construction. This would be a direct investment in our community infrastructure that will pay off many times over.
It is very similar to roads. Good roads provide economic benefit. The construction of trails will help increase property values, attract tourist dollars and they are fun. Vote yes for trails!
Thank you to the Town Council for supporting these measures.
Trending In: Opinion
- TRPA Opinion: We can’t solve Lake Tahoe’s transit issues overnight
- Opinion: CA Sen. Ted Gaines fails as a leader, blames others instead
- Sen. Ted Gaines opinion: Sanctuary state a bad idea for California
- Truckee Police Logs: Man drives down train tracks, arrested for DUI
- Jim Porter: Feel comfortable helping someone as a ‘Good Samaritan’ (opinion)
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- $180,000 raised at Truckee-Tahoe humane society event at The Ritz