Letter to the Editor: Voters beware — the mudslinging has begun
Ryan Summerlin September 2, 2014
There are three Tahoe Forest Hospital board seats open on the ballot.
Even before the final list of candidates was published, Dr. Lawrence Danto already started the mudslinging in his July 8 letter to the editor, “Vote for change on hospital board.”
During this election, past experience matters very little for the hospital seats.
The critical criteria for candidates is how well they have studied and understand implications of national health care reform for rural hospitals and small health care systems.
Every hospital in our nation is now studying and forecasting how their financial models will be changing as provisions of the new law kick in, and as insurance exchanges set premiums for their next year.
All hospitals face serious financial jeopardy; because Medicare and insurance reimbursements will be decreasing, they will be financially accountable for quality of care, and access issues will be increasing.
I have recommended to the board that they sponsor a series of educational forums so that candidates and voters can better understand the changes we face and the choices we have.
Please don’t vote for candidates who simply second-guess past decisions which many of us have made. It’s counter-productive. Hospital board meetings, agendas and documents are always open to the public.
Ask the mudslingers how often they have offered public input at a board meeting, or to see their written recommendations to the board.
Please do vote for candidates who understand the new health care paradigm and are demonstrated quick learners.
Learning to point fingers doesn’t count.
Truckee, Tahoe Forest board member from 1991-2004
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: Kudos to Placer supes for positive Martis Valley West vote
- Opinion: Vote for Rick Stephens for Truckee Tahoe Airport District board
- Note from the editor: Sierra Sun-Bonanza election letters policy
- Jim Porter: Are pliers considered burglar’s tools? (opinion)
- Mental Health Matters: Is alcohol the most dangerous drug in America? (opinion)
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000
- North Tahoe PUD to work exclusively with Bay Area developer