Letter to the Editor: Voters beware — the mudslinging has begun
September 2, 2014
There are three Tahoe Forest Hospital board seats open on the ballot.
Even before the final list of candidates was published, Dr. Lawrence Danto already started the mudslinging in his July 8 letter to the editor, “Vote for change on hospital board.”
During this election, past experience matters very little for the hospital seats.
The critical criteria for candidates is how well they have studied and understand implications of national health care reform for rural hospitals and small health care systems.
Every hospital in our nation is now studying and forecasting how their financial models will be changing as provisions of the new law kick in, and as insurance exchanges set premiums for their next year.
All hospitals face serious financial jeopardy; because Medicare and insurance reimbursements will be decreasing, they will be financially accountable for quality of care, and access issues will be increasing.
I have recommended to the board that they sponsor a series of educational forums so that candidates and voters can better understand the changes we face and the choices we have.
Please don’t vote for candidates who simply second-guess past decisions which many of us have made. It’s counter-productive. Hospital board meetings, agendas and documents are always open to the public.
Ask the mudslingers how often they have offered public input at a board meeting, or to see their written recommendations to the board.
Please do vote for candidates who understand the new health care paradigm and are demonstrated quick learners.
Learning to point fingers doesn’t count.
Truckee, Tahoe Forest board member from 1991-2004
Trending In: Opinion
- Opinion: The facts about Washoe school’s capital program, amid WC-1
- Jennifer Montgomery: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure M (opinion)
- TRPA Opinion: Working together on Lake Tahoe’s housing problems
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Opinion: Vote for Gary Johnson for U.S. President
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway