Letter to the Editor: Voting is a responsibility
March 26, 2014
Kevin MacMillan's March 20 opinion column, "Why I exercise my right not to vote,"was upsetting. He prided himself as never having voted on anything in the past 12 years.
He said "…I don't vote I because I simply do not like politics." Who does really likes politics? I don't trust most politicians either, but I try to do the right thing by voting for the politicians who claim to represent the positions I agree with.
I see voting as a responsibility, not something one can duck claiming journalism ethics by stating "A reporter or editor must be objective. Straight up." I agree, but what does that have to do with a journalist's privacy in the voting booth?
Trending In: Opinion
- TRPA Opinion: We can’t solve Lake Tahoe’s transit issues overnight
- Opinion: CA Sen. Ted Gaines fails as a leader, blames others instead
- Sen. Ted Gaines opinion: Sanctuary state a bad idea for California
- Truckee Police Logs: Man drives down train tracks, arrested for DUI
- Jim Porter: Feel comfortable helping someone as a ‘Good Samaritan’ (opinion)
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- $180,000 raised at Truckee-Tahoe humane society event at The Ritz